Tuesday, May 5, 2009

chocolate mousse

The principal structure for the mill is finished and BB is now putting in the joists for the first floor which will act as the launching pad (technical engineering term) for the roof. He spent all day adjusting the top surfaces of the joists to make them level (BB works to within 1 mm, the builders 10 mm) and hammering 10 inch nails into oak beams. This, after rotavating my vegetable garden - so I figured he deserved a treat.

This is taken from Delia Smith's very chocolatey mousse recipe.

Ingredients
Serves 6
7 oz/200 g dark chocolate (75% cocoa solids)
4 fl oz/120 ml warm water
3 large eggs separated
1½ oz/40 g castor sugar

1. Place the broken-up chocolate and water in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn't touch the water. When the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and give it a good stir until smooth and glossy then cool for 2-3 minutes before stirring in the egg yolks.

2. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to a soft peak, then whisk in the sugar one third at a time until the whites are glossy. Using a metal spoon, carefully fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, divide between ramekins and chill for at least 2 hours - after licking the bowl!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

This looks delicious! I can't wait to try!!! :)

Rachel Follett said...

All I can say is Yum!

Victoria said...

If I'm not mistaken, castor sugar is granulated sugar in the US (and icing sugar is confectioners sugar).

Delia Smith is fabulous. I think I'm the only American who cooks from her books.

I use her recipe for soft boiling an egg. Yours are delightful as is your lovely blog.

Le Moulin said...

Victoria, Castor sugar has a finer grain than granulated sugar and is generally used for cooking I understand. I don't know how it's differentiated in the US. I agree, Delia is fab!