Thursday, January 28, 2010

cabbage

I don't understand why cabbage has such a bad reputation. Granted, it has a strong cooking odour, but there are many wonderful things you can do with it: raw in coleslaw, or wrapped around creamy minced chicken in Asian cabbage parcels,


braised with bacon and peas, or added to a simple bacon and egg quiche.


But the following recipe, which I saw being made on a cookery programme on the telly round at the Sunday Club last weekend, transcends all of the above and is now my recipe du jour.

Chou farci au fromage - cabbage stuffed with cheese - uses three ingredients and all it involves is: blanching some savoy cabbage, placing a slice of bacon in a ramekin (so the ends fall over the sides), then a small cabbage leaf and a cube of cheese, then repeating the layers, finishing off by folding the bacon over to make a parcel and cooking in the oven for 20 minutes at 180°C/350°F.


I had a good hunch that that combination of flavours and textures would be sensational and as soon as I got home, I recreated it using serrano ham which I had in the fridge, and it was utterly, utterly delicious - the loud salty flavours of the ham off-setting the subtle earthy flavour of the cabbage and the savoury goo of the melted cheese. Fantastic.

6 comments:

Jen S. said...

Gorgeous. I would kill for good serrano ham. I can find it in specialty stores, but it isn't abundant. I will try this with American bacon. Three ingredients ... and pork? Who can go wrong.

Sarah said...

Jen - Exactly. I think American bacon will do just fine. Happy cooking.

Kathie said...

To reduce "cabbage-y" smell in the house while cooking brassicas, chop and add a stalk or two of celery to the water first. The celery is perfectly edible afterwards too, so there's no waste.

_ffyona said...

That sound really easy and yummy. I could imagine the salty taste of marrying with the subtleness. I might try it with bacon. Not to forget those melted cheese too!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Delicious! I quite like cabbage. I recently made a cabbage dish I found on Rachel Eats. It was beautiful and pretty tasty too. Here's a link to her post: http://racheleats.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/taking-my-brothers-advice/

Neil King said...

Cabbage makes me fart a lot.