Monday, April 21, 2008

boil-in-the-bag


I went to Méribel at the weekend to ski with my friend Miss Fit before everything shuts down for the season.

We worked together as saisonnières in Courchevel and shared a room, in the bowels of the chalet, without windows or ventilation. The combination of the tropical indoor temperature and leaky plumbing from the adjoining bathroom meant that plant life was actually growing in our bedroom carpet. It was like sleeping in a gigantic propagator inside a cupboard.

On my first day there, I woke up in the middle of the night needing a pee and spent 15 minutes skittering through the undergrowth in impenetrable darkness trying to find my way out, inducing such panic in me, that I insisted on leaving the door open and an outside light on thereafter. The last time I woke up in such dodgy surroundings was in Northern Australia in my cheap nylon one-man tent, after a big night out, when the midday temperature had soared to a whopping 45 degrees - boil-in-the-bag Baby Chou. I've never felt so rough!

The snow is still excellent at 3000 metres and with the slopes almost empty and a bit of blue sky, it was about as perfect a day as you can get.

No comments: